Friday, November 2, 2007

Choripan...Heaven on a Bun.

ChorizoPan2942.jpg

I have to admit, I'm not the kind of guy who's into buying food off of some street vendor's cart. Unless it is the fish tacos on the beaches of Mexico, or the hot dogs off streets of New York, or the burritos and egg rolls off the carts around the University of Texas campus. And of course, corny dogs at the Texas State Fair.

OK, so maybe I am into street food.

Well, nothing comes close to the goodness of the Choripan. Choripan vendors can be found all over the the parks of Palermo and they serve up heaven on a warm tasty bun.

I guess Choripan is short for Chorizo y Pan (Sausage and bread for you gringos back home). Only the chorizo sausage is not the same firery, spicy-hot variety us Texicans are used to. PorteƱos don't like anything hot or too spicy.

The chorizo here is just a good old fashion sausage similar to what they have in Spain. Not very hot at all. But boy is it good.

Grill it up and throw it on a toasted bun and you have the closest thing you'll get to fast food here. Only 100 times better.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhh! I am dieing for one right now!

Pablo

Anonymous said...

Wow. That does look pretty appetizing. If that's what fast food looks like in Buenos Aires, I'm envious!

Anonymous said...

I have been married to an Argentinian for 22 years. I know all the delicious food that Argentina has. My husband makes Argentinian empanadas and people love them. We make them for the local soccer league every Saturday in our town. Today we sold 100 by 12:30pm. I am orginally from NY but now live in Florida. BA reminds me of Manhattan. Just curious...how do your kids like it? Do they speak spanish or are they in an english school? Good Luck

Moni said...

Hi I'd like to invite you to join a blog for Texans living abroad. I'm from TX but currently we are living in Bahrain. Please let me know if you're interested!

miss tango said...

Well you need to add the Chimichurri, not the Salsa Criolla you have on yours to make it spicy.

Unknown said...

That is one of the foods that I absolutely love here. However, you are braver than I to buy them off the street. Just keep in mind that there is usually a break in the chain of cold distribution. Sorry, I have been down here so long that I don´t know the exact terminology in English for it ( cadena de frio ).

Longhorn Dave said...

Frank:

You are so right about the meet not staying at proper temp. before being cooked. I bet it would never pass health inspection anywhere along the distribution chain if held to U.S rules and regs.

I would never eat a hamburger off one of those carts. However, the sausage probably has so much salt and preservatives it is kind of hard for anything too bad to grow on it.

Besides,it is that kind of risk that adds to the thrill of eating one!

Capt. Edward S. Isaacs said...

...like sweet Italian sausage.
Cool stuff.
Thanks for posting.
Ed.


.

marianomatulich@hotmail.com said...

hey really cool blog !

M

Diva said...

I´m glad you discovered on your own one of the highlights of Buenos Aires!

Unknown said...

Dave,

I changed the URL on my blog. The last one spelled out Species instead of Spices in Spanish. I just couldn´t live with that little gem.

Here is the new URL so you can change any links you have to my blog:

http://azucar-y-especias.blogspot.com/